What is Hopsters mission?
“To foster a community of beer lovers to connect, learn, create and have fun through beer.”
- Collaboration – Hopsters will be the birthplace for great beer. Our members will have an integral part in designing and voting on what we brew. The beer will not simply be the Brewery’s beers, but will truly be a reflection of our members and belong to them.
- Education – We believe that beer education will foster a deeper appreciation for beer. We will promote beer education through a range of on-site activities that will develop according to the wishes of our members and size of the brewery.
- Community – Hopsters plans to be a viable member in the local community and across Australia. We look forward to building relationships with craft brewers, other co-ops and local businesses.
What is a co-operative?
A co-operative is a business owned and operated by the people it serves. Hopsters Co-operative Brewery is owned by you, our members.
Why should I become a member? What are member benefits?
Become a member and be a brewery owner! How cool is that? Member benefits include:
- A vote in beer and key business decisions
- Dividends are only payable if the board decide on it and will only occur if profit and cashflow allows it.
- Invitations to member-only events at the brewery, like tastings and homebrew education classes
- Discounts on brewery merchandise
- Being part of a community of like-minded beer lovers
- As the co-operative develops, the Board of Directors may add new benefits as discretion warrants.
How much is membership?
Membership is $250 for a lifetime membership
Is the membership fee annual?
No, membership is for life. There’s lots of great beer to try.
How do I become a member?
New members must complete the Membership Application form online, agree to the terms and conditions and pay the Membership Fee.
Besides my member vote, are there other ways for me to participate in operating the brewery?
Yes. Hopsters Co-operative Brewery is only going to be as successful as the membership is active. Members can run for open seats on the Board of Directors. Members can serve on Co-operative Committees and there is no shortage of things to do before the brewery opens and once we are pulling pints. We’re likely to have committees in the following disciplines: membership, marketing, systems, finance, legal and more. And, as a member, you can enter our brewing contests to have your recipe on tap!
Are there any restrictions to membership?
Membership is open to NSW residents who are 18 years of age or older.
How can I stay informed and spread the word?
- Sign up for our mailing list.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Become our friend on Facebook.
- Tell your friends!
When are you opening?
We have identified a prospective location and will be be opening a Hopsters Brewery as soon as we have DA approval and sufficient funds (up to $250K) to set up our own microbrewery and taproom. We currently have 190+ members (August 2018) and are actively expending our member base. Our ongoing activity will be to brew small batches using our 200l system and to contract brew kegs and canned cases of beer, while the tap room renovations are underway.
What milestones have you completed so far?
Here are just some of the items we’ve ticked off our list:
- Co-operative Rules & Disclosure Statement
- Incorporation with Fair Trading in October 2016
- Creation of website
- Set up Committees – Beer, Finance & Admin, Marketing, Architecture & Construction etc
- Commenced our Membership Drive in December 2016
- Home brew competitions to choose winning beers for our Founders Range: Pale Ale, IPA, Saison and Oatmeal Stout
- Purchased a 200L brewing system
- Established contract brewing for kegs of Pale Ale and IPA beers
- Developed our new Hopsters branding range
- Signed 190+ members as at August 2018
- Held many great member social events focused on the enjoyment of beer
- Launched the Let’s Give Hopsters a Home campaign to raise additional investment for our microbrewery and taproom
I’m independently wealthy. Can I invest more than the membership level and earn a bigger dividend?
The short answer is, yes.
We are looking for a small number of member-investors who are able to contribute more money to help get the brewery off the ground. Please get in touch by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Where is the brewery?
We’re not sure yet. We are looking at several possible locations, most likely a neighborhood in the Inner West of Sydney.
What beers will be on tap?
We hope you become a member and help us decide this! Our current thought is to have a selection of house beers as well as rotating taps of beers sourced from Co-operative brewing contests. The first three beers are an IPA, a Pale Ale and a Saison. The next three will be an Oatmeal Stout, a Black IPA and an ESB.
Brewing competitions? What are those?
Hopsters was founded by a bunch of homebrewers and craft beer lovers who dreamed the dream of “going pro.” We want to offer that same thrill of having your beer on tap at the Brewery. We foresee holding regular member tasting events that will double as brewing competitions with winners’ recipes being brewed and served at the tap room.
Will there be food?
Yes, we will be sure to be located in a neighbourhood with restaurant and catering options for the tasting room. Food trucks will be a great addition to our brewery as well.