What is Hopsters mission?
“To foster a community to connect, learn, create and have fun through beer.”
- Collaboration – Hopsters will be the birthplace for great beer. Our members will have an integral part in designing and voting on what we brew. The beer will not simply be the Brewery’s beers, but will truly be a reflection of our members and belong to them.
- Education – We believe that beer education will foster a deeper appreciation for beer. We will promote beer education through a range of on-site activities that will develop according to the wishes of our members and size of the brewery.
- Community – Hopsters plans to be a viable member in the local community and across Australia. We look forward to building relationships with craft brewers, other co-ops and local businesses.
What is a co-operative?
A co-operative is a business owned and operated by the people it serves. Hopsters Co-operative Brewery is owned by you, our members.
Why should I become a member? What are member benefits?
Become a member and be a brewery owner! How cool is that? Member benefits include:
- A vote in beer and key business decisions
- Dividends are only payable if the board decide on it and will only occur if profit and cashflow allows it.
- Invitations to member-only events at the brewery, like tastings and homebrew education classes
- Discounts on brewery merchandise
- Being part of a community of like-minded beer lovers
- As the co-operative develops, the Board of Directors may add new benefits as discretion warrants.
How much is membership?
Membership is $250 for a lifetime membership
Is the membership fee annual?
No, membership is for life. There’s lots of great beer to try.
How do I become a member?
New members must complete the Membership Application form online, agree to the terms and conditions and pay the Membership Fee.
Besides my member vote, are there other ways for me to participate in operating the brewery?
Yes. Hopsters Co-operative Brewery is only going to be as successful as the membership is active. Members can run for open seats on the Board of Directors. Members can serve on Co-operative Committees and there is no shortage of things to do before the brewery opens and once we are pulling pints. We’re likely to have committees in the following disciplines: membership, marketing, systems, finance, legal and more. And, as a member, you can enter our brewing contests to have your recipe on tap!
Are there any restrictions to membership?
Membership is open to NSW residents who are 18 years of age or older.
How can I stay informed and spread the word?
- Sign up for our mailing list.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Become our friend on Facebook.
- Tell your friends!
When are you opening?
Our target is to be pulling our first pint by the end of 2017.
2017? That seems like a long time from now. Why so long?
Mostly three reasons: funding, location and licenses. Securing the right location and opening a new brewery from scratch can be an expensive and time consuming venture. We estimate we will need $1.5M – $2M in capital.
I’m independently wealthy. Can I invest more than the membership level and earn a bigger dividend?
The short answer is, yes.
We are looking for a small number of member-investors who are able to contribute more money to help get the brewery off the ground. Please get in touch by email email@example.com
Where is the brewery?
We’re not sure yet. We are looking at several possible locations, most likely a neighborhood in the Inner West of Sydney.
What beers will be on tap?
We hope you become a member and help us decide this! Our current thought is to have a selection of house beers as well as rotating taps of beers sourced from Co-operative brewing contests.
Brewing contests? What are those?
Hopsters was founded by a bunch of homebrewers and craft beer lovers who dreamed the dream of “going pro.” We want to offer that same thrill of having your beer on tap at the Brewery. We foresee holding regular member tasting events that will double as brewing competitions with winners’ recipes being brewed and served at the tap room.
Will there be food?
Yes, we will be sure to be located in a neighbourhood with restaurant and catering options for the tasting room.
We aim to partner with local restaurants and bring in a variety of food trucks. This approach has been found to be successful at other venues.